Wednesday, 27 May 2009

Frances Elisabeth Samworth

Frances Elisabeth Samworth She was baptised 23 Sept 1825 Greenwich Royal hospital

She married Jerome Nicholas Vlieland on 6 jul.1852 Gt.Ilford Kent England.

Norfolk Chronicle - Saturday 10 July 1852

They had six children.
She also had (at least) two still births -
a son: On the 8th inst., at Turnham-green, the wife of the Rev.J. N. Vlieland, of a son, stillborn.- Morning Chronicle - 12 February 1859
a daughter: August 20, at the Vicarage, Stalisfield, the wife of the Rev. J. N. Vlieland, of daughter, still-born - Kentish Gazette 30 August 1864
Unfortunately, the still birth of the daughter and death of Reverend Vlieland's wife are shown to have occurred on the same day - in the same newspaper notice - Kentish Gazette 30 August 1864

Jerome not only baptised the children of the parish in the vicarage but also his own daughter Alice.

Arthur H Vlieland born in 1861 .

Frances Elizabeth wife of the Rev. J. N. VLIELAND Vicar of this Parish. Died 20th August 1864 aged 38 and The Rev. Jerome Nicholas VLIELAND for 18 years Vicar of this Parish died 22nd January 1877 aged 51."

[from The Monumental Inscriptions in The Church and Churchyard of Stalisfield, Kent. Taken in September 1920 by Leland L. Duncan. Typed up by Christine Pantrey, checked by Zena Bamping

She was the daughter of John Samworth (bap.24 Jan 1790 Greenwich Royal hospital .
He was a civil servant in 1825.

John married his first wife Elizabeth Sarah Horn 15th Oct 1823 at St. Mary's Lambeth, Surry. 

He died on 11 February 1834 aged 44 years a Gent of All Saints Hastings.

On his gravestone

H.S. (ornamental writing, black and red): In memory of

John Samworth Esqe who died February 5th 1834 Aged

44 Years also Ann Samworth widow of the above died

October 25th 1883 aged 88 Years and their twin children

Mary died June 2nd 1850 John (sic) August 1850 aged 20 


Her mother was Elisabeth Sarah Horn born about 1791 and died 18 Jul 1826 Greenwich Kent.Only 35 years old

They lived at Brooklands.
Clive Vale House 
Clive Vale House replaced the original Clive Vale Farm House built towards
the end of the eighteenth century. In about 1830 the farm was purchased by
John Samworth of Brooklands and was owned by his widow until purchased
and developed by the British Land Company in the 1860's, 1870's and 1880's
- although the farm house itself was not demolished until later - to make way
for Clive Vale House.
The farm house had artistic connections. In August 1852 William Holman Hunt
and Edward Lear stayed there and while there Hunt painted Our English Coasts
based on the view from Lovers' Seat. The painting is now in the Tate Gallery.
While he was there he also painted some plants in the corner of The Light of the
World. Lear worked on an oil version of an earlier painting originally executed
in Sicily and known as The Quarries of Syracuse. The rocks and vegetation of
the Fairlight quarries imitated the original Sicilian landscape. Holman Hunt and
Lear were also joined one weekend by John Everett Millais.
There are many courtcases in the London Gazette about the heritage.
Tekst niet beschikbaar
John Samworth was married a second time after the death of his first wife with Ann Chapman on 29 Dec.1828 St Pauls Depford.She was born about 1797 Smarden Kent and died 25 Oct 1883 Hastings.
They had 4 children
Mary and John Samworth(Twins)born 25 March 1830 bap 16th May 1830 at All Saints Hastings .Mary died pre 1863 and John died 15 Aug 1850 Hastings.
Annie Samworth born 14 Sept 1831,She married about 1863 Charles Thornely who was born 28 Sept and who was a painter.
Her some examples:
Joanna Samworth born 23 April 1834 bap. 21 March 1835.
We also found :
In 1855 "Anna Mary and Barbara" go off to Hastings, and get lodged in Clive Vale Farm, [Ann Samworth's] the place where Holman Hunt had painted his famous picture of the sheep upon the downs. He had made a great mess with his oils upon a certain table, which gave pleasure to the artists who were following in his footsteps!
This painting is painted on Clive Dale farm by William Hunt.

1841 Census Blackheath Road Greenwich
Ann Samworth 50
Frances Samworth 15
1851 Census 2 Egerton Rd Greenwich
Ann Samworth 66
Frances Samworth niece 25

Ann Samworth and her children, who lived at Brooklands Cottage, Holloway place, Old London road.
Extracts from "ïn a walled garden"by Bessie Rayner Park.

The three Samworth girls and the three Leigh Smith girls enjoyed painting expeditions around Hastings. Barbara studied art at Bedford Square Ladies College (London) during 1849 and gained some reknown as a painter. Some of her work is held at Hastings Museum; other paintings are at Girton College, Cambridge. The Hastings & St Leonards Observer wrote (in 1891) of her paintings:

John Samworth,the father of Frances Elisabeth owned the clive-vale farm
On page 71 you can read that the painting of Wiliiam Hunt was painted Clive-vale farm.

No comments: