Sunday, 21 February 2010

Phoebe Mary Vlieland

Phoebe Mary Vlieland is the daughter of Charles James Vlieland and Alice Edith Millen.
Christening: 05 FEB 1888 Ospringe, Kent
She married Dudley Eugene Batty in Jun 1912.

They had one child Aubrey Batty who was born and died in December 1914 in Fullham

She died Sep 1980 in Chiltern and Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, England
Phoebe and Dudley lived in a beautiful Arts and Crafts house in Buckinghamshire, full of Dudley's pictures.

* If you look up 'Upalong, Oxford Road Gerrards Cross' on Google, you will find three lists of residents – Dudley in 1929, Phoebe in 1938 and 1940, in a Directory with lovely pre-World War II typography.
* South Kensington seems to have been the Batty family home – Comeragh Road, where Phoebe and Dudley lived at Aubrey's birth is just round the corner from Redcliffe Gardens, where Dudley's elder sister was stillborn (20 November 1872, Sydney Herald 27 January 1873) and where he and his wife Emma lived on their marriage (20 July 1871) – officiated by Dudley's two brothers, Edmund and George Staunton, both Reverends (Sydney Herald, 2 October 1871)!

Their one child died an infant cot death.
This information we have from Phoebe Mary's great-niece!
The house is named Upalong and was at Gerrards Cross.
The well known John Hislop visted there and mentiones it in his book.
Connections to Phoebe Mary, the strongest by far is Emily Anthony, about whom all we know is her death in Gerrards Cross in 1972 and the fact that, employed as nursemaid to the son who died, she stayed as devoted companion to Phoebe through Dudley's death until (assuming Phoebe died after her) the end of her life.
2016 Emily Anthony on the Phoebe Vlieland blog that  was born in Fulham in 1878 and so was 94 when she died in 1972, having been hired as nursemaid when Phoebe was pregnant and they lived in Comeragh Road and stayed on for the rest of her life after the tragedy of Aubrey's death. I guess Comeragh Road was a good address in 1914, the 1890s houses would have been new (they are now rather down at heel and largely broken up into flats) and people like Edward Elgar the composer and Burne-Jones the artist lived nearby so it would have been an 'arty' neighbourhood. I do so regret that I never saw Phoebe after 1967 – it is incredible to think that she lived to 92, outliving my mother and Archie and nearly outliving Nicky! Her will says that she died at Upalong and probate was granted in Brighton, but I don't know to whom.Dudley Eugene Batty was born September 1873
He was an electrical engineer and joined AEI (Associated Electrical Industries Ltd), the innovative scientific company, in 1929
He died December 1933.

Interior photograph of the drawing room at Rouse Hill House. This photograph is one of three within the Rouse Hill House & Farm collection taken by Dudley Batty (1875-1933), son of Emma Batty nee Rouse (1843-1928) and Dudley Davison Batty(1845-1878), and great-grandson of Richard Rouse, the builder of the house.
Photo Richard Rouse
Dudley Batty and his younger brother Aubrey, both born in England, made an extended visit to their Australian relatives in 1894, staying for some time with their uncle Edwin Stephen Rouse at Rouse Hill. Dudley Batty became a member of the Royal Photographic Society of Great Britain in 1920.
About Rouse Hill house.
TN THE SUPREME COURT OP NEW SOUTH X WALES.-Probate Jurisdiction.-In the Estate of EMMA BATTY late of Hove Sussex England Widow deceased.-Application will be made after foui teen days tiom the publication hereof that Letters of Administration with an exemplification of the Probntc of the Will of the abovenamed de- ceased granted by the High Court of Justice an- nexed may be granted to REGINALD NEVILLE DANGAR and RODNEY ROUSE DANGAR the duly constituted Attorneys of DUDLEY EUGENE BATTY and EDMUND HARGRAVE PEACH tho Executors named In the said Will for the use and benefit of the said Dudley Eugene Batty and Edmund Hargrave Peach limited until the said Dudley Eugene Batty and Edmund Hargrave Peach shali apply or take out representation in this Honourable Court and all persons having any claim against the Estate of the said deceased are required to forward par- ticulars thereof to the undersigned within the saidFix this text period and all notices may be served at the under- mentioned address. PURVES and MOODIE, Proc- tors for the Applicants, Ile Castlcrcagh-strect, Sydney^_

from the Devon and Exeter Gazette June 26 1912 
The marriage of Dudley Batty and Phoebe Mary Vlieland 

AN EXETER WEDDING. Walsh, photograph frame; Mrs. Edgar Ware, tot pins; iMir., JVlrs., and the Misses Wright, silver cigarette case. The Lord Bishop of Marlborough's gift to the bride was a pa.per-knifg in case, with heavy chased silver handle, and on the long ivory blade were engraved miniature representations tlie Cathedral, the Guildhall, the Cap of Maintenance, and the City Arms. In addition, it (bore the following verse, written by hie lordship:— Forget not, Bride, whatever lot be thine, Tihe .Ever Faithful .City and its Shrine ; The City where thy parent sat as head, The Holy (Shrine in whidh his ohi'ld was wed. lave worthy both, all happiness -be thine. The honoured parent and tihe Holy Shrine. The design was the work Messrs. Depree and Young, Exeiter. - During afternoon Mr. and Mrs. Batty lerflt for the Continent to spend the honeymoon in Belgium and Holland. The bride's travelling dress was of saxe blue silk eolienne, with coatee of laoe the same colour, and sash of silk. Her hat was white bagel, with blue Lancer plumes and shaded pansies. The costume was supplied Messrs. Bros., as also other portions her trousseau. Mr. W. J. Coombes, the Princes Nurseries, St. Thomas, supplied .the wedding bell and sniilax decorations at the Guildhall, the flowers, palms, etc., at the Cathedral, and a bouquet for the Mayoress. A canopy at the Guildhall, the carpeting of the nave at the Cathedral, and the erection of the porch the West door were the work of Mr. R. M. Flint, of Exeter. The wedding ,cake was supplied by Messrs., Goff, and Co., Broadgate. They also were entrusted with the catering. The bride's dresses and those of the bridesmaids and the bride's mother were designed and made by Messrs. Green and Son, Exeter. Messrs. Rush and Co. supplied the wedding bouquetsy Mr. J. Browning, art photographer, of Exeter, took the wedding portraits. 'Die silver fl-ay and the brooch that were the City's gifts the bride were supplied Mr. W. U. Lisle, Fore-street, Exeter. "

The 1939 Register was taken in Sep 1939.  Phoebe was living in Buckinghamshire; at "Upalong" Oxford Road , Eton. 

Dudley had been dead for many years.  Like many of the female respondents, Phoebe took a year of her age and is shown as a housewife ("unpaid domestic duties" ).  Many of the men were already missing on expected war duties and the right hand column shows the expected additional war work of those who remained.  She was shown as a member of the Women's Voluntary Service, a billeting Officer for the expected evacuation

Tuesday, 16 February 2010

Fire in Yarmouth

Mystery solved .
it was not a big fire but know we know what happened
Fire in Great Yarmouth in 1868.
We find this in the local history of Great Yarmouth in the 19th century,written in later life about the town.
We find in a presentation of teachers at the start of a new term.
"Another teacher of the French language was M. Vlieland.
He was greatly incensed when, in an action brought against him, the opposing counsel called him Mr. Flyland.
He stated that his sister was burnt to death at Yarmouth in 1870.
This should have happened Jun quarter of 1870.

Betty found out what happened .
Here is what the certificate says: No. 326; When and where died: Fourteenth February 1870 Malakoff Place; Name: Mary Vieland; Sex: Female; Age 78 years; Occupation: Formerly a Needlewoman; Cause of Death: Accidental in consequence of the clothes deceased was wearing catching fire; Signature, etc: Information received from C. H. Chamberlin, Coroner for Yarmouth. Inquest held 14th February 1870; when registered: Fifth April 1870; Signature of registrar: J. Gayly, Registrar.
the whole story

Mary died at the age of 78 years so she must be born 1792.
Formerly a needlewoman it says on the death certificate.
We have Maria (Mary)born on 31-12-1792 and baptised 03-01-1793 Rotterdam daughter of Jan Hollander and Catrina Frits.
Sister of Jerome Nicholas Vlieland the professor.
Then Betty found out that there had been an inquest and had found the death certificate.
Here is what the deathcertificate says:
No. 326; When and where died: Fourteenth February 1870 Malakoff Place; Name: Mary Vieland; Sex: Female; Age 78 years; Occupation: Formerly a Needlewoman; Cause of Death: Accidental in consequence of the clothes deceased was wearing catching fire; Signature, etc: Information received from C. H. Chamberlin, Coroner for Yarmouth. Inquest held 14th February 1870; when registered: Fifth April 1870; Signature of registrar: J. Gayly, Registrar.

Today we found in the Bury and Norwich post of 15 February 1870.

In French Chit Chat of J.N.Vlieland on page 103 (thanks Cliff ) you can find .

Sunday, 7 February 2010

Dutch Fair

The Dutch Herring Fair at Yarmouth was a feature of the Grand Fishery, on which for many centuries the Dutch supremacy in herring fishery and curing was based. In the foreground, hucksters with their stalls do business with the Dutch fishermen. The Nelson monument stands on the left, and the Yarmouth windmills are visible in the middle distance behind the jetty.
Maybe that is why Jerome came to Great Yarmouth.
What we know is that in 1822 he lived in Kingsstreet in Great Yarmout as a French teacher,
About the painter,
Of all Crome's pupils, the most accomplished was George Vincent 1796-1832. Son of
a shawl manufacturer, he became apprenticed to Crome around 1811. After a short stay
in London he returned to Norwich in 1815, becoming a member of the Norwich Society
until 1831. With J.B. Crome and Benjamin Steel, a son-in-law of Crome, he visited Paris
in 1816 - 'They had a charming voyage over, Vincent belching as loud as the steampacket…'.
4 By 1818 he was again living in London, next door to James Stark and
Joseph Clover, and he was already in debt. The following year he toured Scotland, but
despite the success in London of his exhibited pictures and his marriage in 1822,
Vincent's affairs worsened. From December 1824 until February 1827 he was
imprisoned for debt in The Fleet - 'I can paint small pictures here but not any of size'5 -
and soon afterwards, in 1832, he died at Bath. Although his career was short, dated
works of 1823-1828 show a quality that outpaces his Norwich School contemporaries
and matches many others including Callcott and Stanfield. His talent did not escape the
notice of the distinguished collectors James Wadmore and Lord de Tabley, Turner's
patron, who both bought Vincent's pictures, exhibited in London in 1820. The almost
impressionist figure painting of the Dutch Fair at Yarmouth Beach, exhibited at the
British Institution in 1821 and now in the Elizabethan House Museum, Great Yarmouth,
clearly shows his debt to Crome. Vincent's paintings range from cabinet size to 'six
footers' and are often signed with a conjoined monogram.

From the 1300’s to the mid 1800’s Yarmouth was considered by the Admiralty to be a naval port of considerable importance. Indeed, as a result of the important part that Yarmouth ships and their sailors played in the war against the French, the Royal Arms were granted to the borough by Edward Ш.
The area of sea between the town of Yarmouth and the sandbanks offshore, known as the Yarmouth Roads, has always been a safe area for ships to shelter from storms and a popular place to anchor and it was from here in 1799 that the fleet sailed against the Dutch returning victorious with seven Dutch vessels as prizes. The battle took place off Camperdown and to commemorate this battle, a terrace of houses near Wellington Pier was named Camperdown.

Wednesday, 3 February 2010

The bishop of London

                                                 Charles James Blomfield, published by B. Werthem, after  Samuel Lane, (circa 1826) - NPG D16139 - © National Portrait Gallery, London

Charles James Blomfield
The bishop of London we already known as the uncle of William Heath Vlieland who presented him with a prayer book.
His mothers sister Anne Maria Heath married Charles Blomfield,the bishop of London.

Charles James Blomfield, by John Samuelson Templeton, published 1840 - NPG D18544 - © National Portrait Gallery, London                             Charles James Blomfield, published by Mason & Co (Robert Hindry Mason), 1850s, published 1860s - NPG Ax11948 - © National Portrait Gallery, London           

Also Herbert Blomfield Vlieland was named after him.
And Charles James Vlieland as well.
Charles Blomfield (1763-1831)

According to 'An Account of the Blomfield Families with eleven pedigrees' by E.V. Blomfield Charles James Blomfield Bishop of London was the son of Charles Blomfield (1763-1831), a schoolmaster of St Albans (who, himself, was son of Charles of Bury) and Hester Blomfield. Charles of Bury had another son, James John Blomfield of Rougham, a Schoolmaster. He was caught stealing a pair of spectacles and was transported in 1835 to Australia.
They had at least ten children:
Frederick William (1792) / Henry / Anna Purchas (1798) / Louisa Jane (1812) (all died in childhood)
Elizabeth Hester Blomfield (1789) died unmarried
Frances Maria (1790) married Rev. John Smith
James (1812) married Anna Maria Smith (sister of John Smith)
Charles James Blomfield (1787) - Bishop of London - eldest son
George Becher Blomfield (1801) married Frances Maria Massie 9 January 1827
Edward Valentine Blomfield (1788)
– both excelled at Cambridge.
Anne Maria Heath, first wife of Bishop Blomfield, had a short but interesting life. She married well and had six children, only one of whom survived infancy according to the National Archives. This was a daughter Maria Blomfield who married Rev. H. Brown Rector of Woolwich.
 Blomfield's first wife died in 1816 but not before adding a name of interest to our future generations. She married Charles James Blomfield, the future Bishop of London.
Charles was one of nine children by Charles Blomfield, schoolmaster of St Albans, by his wife Hester Pawsey. The others included the ninth and youngest child George Becher Blomfield, Canon of Chester and Rector of Stevenage and presumably named Becher after the sons old teacher Dr Becher at the Grammar School together with William Valentine Blomfield who, according to the Encyclopaedia Britannica, was almost as successful at Caius College, Cambridge gaining several of the classical prizes of the university, and becoming a fellow and lecturer at Emmanuel College). Charles Blomfield was educated at the local grammar school in Bury St Edmonds, Suffolk and at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he won the Browne medals for Latin and Greek odes, and the Craven scholarship. In 1808, he graduated as third wrangler and first medallist, and in the following year was elected to a fellowship at Trinity College.
He was ordained in 1810, and held in quick succession the livings of Chesterford, Quarrington, Dunton, Great and Little Chesterford, and Tuddenham. In 1817, after his first wife’s death he was appointed private chaplain to William Howley, Bishop of London. In 1819 he married again and was nominated to the rich living of St. Botolph's, Bishopsgate, and in 1822 he became archdeacon of Colchester. Two years later he was raised to the bishopric of Chester where he carried through many much-needed reforms. The National Archives note that “there were eleven children of this (second) marriage. His children included Frederick George Blomfield (1823-1879), Prebendary of St Paul's, Lucy Elizabeth Bather (d. 1864), children's writer, and Sir Arthur William Blomfield (1829–1899), architect.”
According to Trevelyan’s social history, “the Bishops were part of the ‘enjoying class’. They had obtained preferment not as a reward for work done for the church but through aristocratic connection or family favour. But in the new age of reform opinion began to command that a man should do the work for which he was paid”. In 1828, Blomfield was translated to the bishopric of London, which he held for twenty-eight years (Bishop of London 1828-1856). Parliament now worked hard at church reform aided, according to Trevelyan by “the wiser members of the Episcopal Bench including Blomfield”. There was now no prospect of Parliament paying for much needed new churches (as Tory Parliaments had previously done in Anne’s reign and after Waterloo) and he notes that “Blomfield raised a great fund for building churches in outer London” (and, himself, consecrated 198 churches). Later an architect son Sir Arthur William Blomfield would design new churches.
Since, after 1832, it was difficult even to collect Church Rates from parishioners, Churches now relied upon voluntary subscriptions for practically all their work including the maintenance of the Anglican Schools (at that time the cornerstone of the country’s education). One of St. Saviour's Church for the Deaf and Dumb Association's most active trustees was Arthur Henry Bather, who was the deaf husband of Lucy Elizabeth Blomfield ('Aunt Lucy'), the writer of children's books.
Some 5 feet 8 inches tall, with small hands, a pale complexion, and an ‘urgent walk’, Blomfield's impetuosity, relentless administrative energy, self-confidence, and pomposity attracted caricature. In 1847 an accident at Osborne left Blomfield with partial facial paralysis and slurred speech; in 1848 he was, unsurprisingly now, passed over for Canterbury. Together these two events marked a turning point. In 1855 his eyesight began to fail, and after a seizure he was paralysed on his left side. Early in 1856 he sought to resign his see, and his episcopate closed in controversy over the necessary legislation and its allocation of his continued use of Fulham Palace (on which he had lavished considerable expenditure) and the award of a pension of £6000 (in order to keep up his insurances) on his resignation on 30 September 1856.
After he resigned the London Bishopric, he continued “at the express wish of her Majesty to hold the Deanery of the Chapels Royal” but, the following year after the second of two epileptic seizures it was reported widely in the newspapers across the world that Dr Blomfield “has been seized with an epileptic attack so serious that his relatives and friends despair of his recovery.” His family and friends were immediately assembled in Fulham and remained there during the day. He “breathed his last at ten minutes after five on Wednesday night” the fifth of August 1857”. Of his seventeen children, the newspapers reported that “six sons and five daughters are now deploring his loss”. He was buried in the churchyard of All Saints, Fulham, on 11 August 1867.
Judith M. Church in her article in Richmond History, Journal of the Richmond Local History Society, 2006 writes that, “after his death [Dorothy] (age sixty-eight) was at Lower Road, Richmond, now known as Petersham Road, next to Belle Vue House, and her son Henry, on half-pay from the Royal Navy, and her daughters Dorothy and Lucy were with her. (Lucy became Mrs Bather and was a children's writer.) The 'Post Office London Suburban Directory', 1860, locates the Bishop's widow at Ivy Hall, now the lower part of the Hobart Hall Hotel. (The household supported seven live-in servants: invalid nurse, butler, cook, lady's maid, housemaid, kitchen maid and fifteen-year-old page.) She died 12 February 1870 in Richmond, and is buried with her husband in the north-west corner of the churchyard at All Saints, Fulham, by the Palace."

The family tradition continued as Sir Reginald Theodore Blomfield (20 December 1856 – 27 December 1942), grandson of Bishop Blomfield and son of another of the eleven, the local clergyman in North Devon. He was educated at Haileybury School and at Exeter College, Oxford, was a British architect, garden designer and author. His work included The Menin Gate Memorial in Ypres, Flanders, the Royal Air Force Memorial in London, the Pall Mall premises of the Carlton Club (destroyed in the Second World War), Lambeth Bridge, Highgate School, Goldsmiths College, the redesign of Regent Street and The Cross of Sacrifice or War Cross, for the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. In 1913 he was awarded the Gold Medal of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) and in 1914 elected to the Royal Academy.
The Blomfield Name:
“A Dictionary of British Surnames” advises that the origin of the Blomefield, Blomfield, Bloomfield and Blumfield surnames is claimed to be Blonville-sur-Mer (Calvados); presumably 'de Blonville' describing one or more of the Norman conquerors. Indeed, ‘Yourfamily tree’ website shows Blomfield as “first found in Norfolk where they were seated from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D” but I cannot verify that. According to the East Anglian 1858-1910 the earliest recognisable record of the name is John Blumfeilde in Norfolk in 1582. Thomas de Blumuill was also recorded in 1230 in Norfolk (Pipe Rolls). The Blomefields of East Dereham claim to descend from Thomas Blomefield of Watton, 6th son of John Blomefilde (1581 - 1603) according to Francis Blomefield’s ‘History of Norfolk volume one’. On the internet is another substantial Blomfield tree posted by Rosemary Blomfield with a 1700’s Norfolk family (and trying to research further back). Her ancestors variously spelt the prefix ‘Blom’, ‘Bloom’ and ‘Blome’ before settling on ‘Blom’. Another Family named Toop are also trying to trace their Blomfield/Bloomfield ancestors and report that there are many in Suffolk with the same name. Their research suggests that spelling variants on Blomfield and Bloomfield continue to be the same name in the nineteenth century – “it is just how the local parishes spelt the name - apparently 'o' in the Suffolk/Norfolk accent is quite long so an non-local priest may have spelt it with a double o”.
When I began to research I originally wondered if it was possible that the registered second name of Herbert Bloomfield Vlieland was supposed to be Blomfield – a Vlieland/White name, rather than that of Bishop Charles James Blomfield – Bishop of London. Then I found that another brother of Jerome Junior, Willam, had named his only son William Henry Blomfield Jansen de Vlieland in 1868 (I can confirm the spelling, since his father wrote an account of each birth and christening in his prayer book, which had been given to him on September 17th 1848 and inscribed as such by Bishop Blomfield) and a sister had named her first born son Charles James Blomfield Vlieland Coxeter Snell as early as 1861.

In 1856 Bishop Blomfield was permitted to resign his bishopric, with failing health; retaining Fulham Palace as his residence, with a pension of £6000 per annum. He died in 1857 and is buried in the churchyard of All Saints Church, Fulham, London. It was, I suppose, only natural therefore that Vicar Jerome Vlieland would name his son Charles James Vlieland the year after his death (the son went on to become a physician) and another son Herbert Blomfield in 1862. The GRO report says ‘Blomfield’ but he was calling himself Bloomfield by the time he married in America and that was the name he gave his son. Was the second ‘o’ an error or a deliberate change by Herbert – perhaps in honour of his Dutch ancestry or what the family called him? Herbert Blomfield White was christened as such by his vicar father but was seemingly called Bloomfield all his life – and used that name for his son.

Then Jerome’s sister Catherine and her husband Samuel Ethelbert would do likewise, by naming Charles Ethelbert White in 1858 and then William Blomfield White in 1865. Though Bishop Blomfield did not assume the London bishopric until 8 years after Anne’s death and she has all but been ignored in favour of his second wife (in view no doubt of his famous children by her); her marriage to Bishop Blomfield lived on in both the White and Vlieland families in the middle name of descendants.

Charles James Blomfield (1787-1857) - Bishop of London
Charles James Blomfield firstly married Anna Heath and they had six children all of whom died young except a daughter Maria Blomfield who married Rev. H. Brown Rector of Woolwich. Children included:
Edward Thomas Blomfield (1816-1822)
He secondly married Dorothy Kent nee Cox (who was previously married to Thomas Kent) and had seven sons and four daughters:
Dorothy Blomfield (née Cox), by Unknown photographer, 1860s - NPG Ax137929 - © National Portrait Gallery, London
Dorothy Coc

Charles James Blomfield (1821-1822)
Frederick George Blomfield (1823-1879) married Ann Brook
Henry John Blomfield (1825-1890) (Admiral) died unmarried
Francis Blomfield (1828-1852) drowned at sea
Arthur William Blomfield (Knight) (1829-1899) married 1. Caroline Smith 2. Sara Louisa Ryan
Charles James Blomfield (1831-1916) married Jane Strickland
Alfred Blomfield (1835-) married Anne Barnes
Mary Frances Blomfield (1822- ) married Rev Charles Braine Dalton
Isabella Blomfield (1824-1879) married 1st cousin Rev. George John Blomfield
Dorothy Hester Blomfield (1836-)
Lucy Elizabeth Blomfield (1831-) married Arthur Henry Bather
Blomfield Family Entries from Who was Who

BLOMFIELD Rear-Admiral Sir Richard Massie (born 3 March 1835, died 26 June 1921) Birth: Born 3 March 1835; 3rd s of late Rev. G. B. Blomfield, Rector of Stevenage, Herts, and Canon of Chester Cathedral. m 1877, Rosamund Selina, d of late Rt Rev. Charles Graves, Bishop of Limerick; one s ;
DALTON, Rev. Herbert Andrew (born 18 May 1852, died 18 May 1928) Birth: Born Lambeth Rectory, and DALTON, Frederick Thomas (born 29 Oct. 1855, died 11 Nov. 1927) s of late Rev. Charles Browne Dalton, Vicar of Highgate, and Mary Frances, d of Charles James Blomfield, Bishop of London
ROUTLEDGE, Rev. C. F. (born 16 Dec. 1838, died 2 Nov. 1904) Hon. Canon of Canterbury from 1879; Hon. Secretary of Canterbury Church Schools Association Family: m 1st, Dorothy Hester, y d of Dr C. J. Blomfield, Bishop of London; 2nd, Ellen, d of Colonel Edward Bruce, RHA
BATHER, Francis Arthur (born 1863, died 20 March 1934) Birth: Born 1863; e s of late A. H. Bather and Lucy, d of Bishop Blomfield
BLOMFIELD, Arthur Conran (born 1863, died 22 Nov. 1935) Birth: Born 1863; 2nd s of late Sir Arthur Blomfield, ARA, and g s of late Rt. Rev. Charles James Blomfield, Lord Bishop of London m 1891, Christine Elsie, d of late William Bevan; one d ;
BLOMFIELD, Sir Arthur William (born 6 March 1829, died 30 Oct. 1899) Architect Birth: Born Fulham, 6 March 1829; s of late Rt Rev. C. J. Blomfield, DD, Bishop of London
BLOMFIELD, Maj.-Gen. Charles James (born 26 May 1855, died 3 March 1928) retired 1917; JP Birth: Born Bow, Devonshire, 26 May 1855; 2nd s of Rev. George J. Blomfield and Isabel, d of late Charles James Blomfield, Bishop of London m 1881, Henrietta, d of late Major E. Briscoe, 20th Foot; two s ; died 3 March 1928
BLOMFIELD, Charles James (died 1 Dec. 1932) Birth: e s of late Sir Arthur Blomfield, ARA, and g s of late Right Rev. Charles James Blomfield, Lord Bishop of London m 1896, Eleanor, d of William Macandrew, JP, of Westwood, Little Horkesley; two d ;
BLOMFIELD, Sir Reginald (born 20 Dec. 1856, died 27 Dec. 1942) Past President, Gold Medallist, Royal Institute of British Architects; late Member of the Royal Commission of Fine Art; Member of Board of Ancient Monuments and of Advisory Council Victoria and Albert Museum; a Principal Architect of the Imperial War Graves Commission; Hon. Member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters; Officer de l’instruction publique and Hon. Corresponding Member of the Societé des Architectes Diplomés de France and of the Society of Architects of Argentine; Hon. Member of the Royal Academy of Belgium; Hon. Member of the National Acad. of Design of America; a Vice-Pres. of the Royal Hist. Soc.; Chevalier of the Legion of Honour; Officer of the Orders of the Crown and Leopold I, Leopold II of Belgium; Architect Birth: Born 20 Dec. 1856; 3rd s of Rev. George John Blomfield, MA, late Rector of Aldington, Kent, and Isabella, d of C. J. Blomfield, late Bishop of London
BLOMFIELD, Maj.-Gen. Valentine CB 1947; DSO 1944 Born 29 March 1898; e s of late Frederick Charles Blomfield; m 1925, Gladys Edith, d of late Col A. M. Lang, CB, RE; three s ; died 11 Jan. 1980

His memoirs

Charles James Blomfield D.D. (Bishop of Chester)
January 15th, 2014 · No Comments

Charles James Blomfield D.D.

19th century armorial bookplate with arms the See of London impaling Blomfield. F.2858.

For a full biography, see the Oxford DNB.

1786-1857. Bishop of Chester 1824; translated to London 1828. Married (1) 1810 Anna Maria (b. 784/5, d.1818), dau of W. Heath of Hemblington, Norfolk. The couple had six children, of whom only one survived infancy; (2) Dorothy (1795–1870), widow of the barrister Thomas Kent and dau of a brewer, Charles William Cox, and his wife, Mary, née Munnings. The eleven offspring of this marriage proved healthier than those of Blomfield’s first, only one dying in infancy.

Dimensions of paper: 86×76mm.

Condition: Various damages, and corners 

 Blomfield in the newspapers