Sunday, 21 November 2010

Thomas Pearman Stevens

Thomas Pearman Stevens was born 3 Febr.1845 as son of William Samuel Stevens.
In September of 1874 Thomas married Ellen Pidsley at Newton Abbot and they had 5 children.All born in the St.Thomas area.
Mable Marion Stevens born 1875 died 1895.
Redgenald Gould Stevens born 1877 died 1900.
Violet Maud Stevens born December 1878 died September1895.
Allan Randolph Stevens born December 1880.
Ellen Mary Stevens born 1883 died 1961
The last two were sent to Alberta Canada for their health.
After the death of Ellen Pidsley he married Alice Vlieland on the 9th March 1887 at Hitching.

Alice and Thomas had 3 children together .

Thomas Pearman Stevens known as Pym born 15th January 1888.Educated Dover College and went on to Oxford.He became Vicar of Hartley and died around 1936.
Paul Pearman Stevens born 3 march 1889.Educated Dover College and London University.
Served in the first world war as an officer and later became an antique collector and dealer of note.
He died around 1942 at Abbotsford Scotland where he was Honourary Librarian to Sir Maxwell Scott.
They became friends during the first world war.
Marjory Doris Stevens born 1891 and died 1972 .
She spent 2 years at finishing school in Brussels before entering the Royal College of Music London.
In world war 1 for her war effort she drove ambulances and official cars.
After the war she married Frank Peachy of Woodbridge Suffolk a public schoolmaster and best friend of Pym.
They married from her aunts Frances Elizabeth Chesterman house .
They had one daughter.
Thomas died 

Where the name Pearman comes from.
Saturday 13 April 1844 Oxford Journal - On the 9th inst. at Whitchurch, in this county, by the Rev. E. Moore, M.A. Mr. William Samuel Stevens, of Blount's Court, to 'Mary Kate, second daughter of James Pearman, Esq. of Goring Heath.
(Marriages Jun 1844: Stevens William Samuel = PEARMAN Mary Kate Bradfield 6 215)
Thomas's grandfather:
James Pearman was a Farmer 200 Acres Employs 8 Men And Boys in 1851 census. He also had grandson James Morrison Stevens age 4 staying with him and his wife (and an unmarried son and daughter)

Thomas's father:

Saturday 20 October 1860 Reading Mercury - On the 17th inst., at St. Giles' Church, Reading, by the Rev. W. F. Addison, Mr. William Samuel Stevens, of Goring, to Ellen, youngest daughter of Mr. W. H. Gibbons, London-st., Reading.
(Marriages Dec 1860: Gibbons Ellen Stevens = William Samuel Reading 2c 730)
1861 census Gatehampton Farm, Goring, Oxfordshire - Farmer Occupying 550 Acres age 41 with second wife Ellen.
Saturday 28 April 1883 Reading Mercury (and Morning Post - Thursday 26 April 1883) - Stevens.—On the 2lst inst., at Coombe, Streatley, William Samuel Stevens (late of Gatehampton), aged 63.
In Exeter memories we find Thomas Pearman Stevens.
Well Park Brewery - Willey's Ave

Purpose-built in 1870 by the partnership of Thomas Gould Pidsley, his brother Hayward Gould Pidsley and brother-in-law Thomas Pearman Stevens, the Well Park Brewery was situated in Willey's Avenue, opposite the railway embankment. Built of brick, the brewery would have incorporated the latest ideas for beer production. Hayward Pidsley retired in 1885, and in 1887 Thomas Stevens sold his interest to Alfred Ross and renamed the firm, Ross & Pidsley.

A promotional leaflet printed in 1888, stated "We respectfully draw attention to the facilities offered for obtaining our celebrated ales and stout in patent, screw-stoppered bottles which are so much preferred by reason of their being easily opened." The leaflet went on to say that the stout had "great strengthening properties" and was "recommended for the use of invalids". Double stout could be purchased for 3 shillings a dozen bottles.

The 1888 leaflet mentioned the water supply to the brewery:"A deep well on the premises yields an unfailing supply of the purest water which on analysis was found to contain the constituents so essential to the production of those high class ales for which the Well-Park Brewery has become celebrated."

They continued brewing until 1925, when it was bought by J A Devenish & Company, a Weymouth based brewery, and production ceased. The premises became a sales and distribution depot for Devenish.

A story that has almost become a legend from the Second World War relates how a few days after Christmas 1942, a German raider dropped a bomb on the gasworks. It missed and bounced out of the gasworks yard, along Willey's Avenue, to stop just short of the Well Park Brewery, where it exploded.

After the war, the buildings were used by the city electrical and plumbing contractors I J Cannings & Son Ltd, and later on, a tile retailer. They have just been converted into 14 flats.
Well Park Brewery

The old brewery buildings are now apartments.
In the London Gazette we find.
NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership
lately subsisting between us the undersigned,
Thomas Pearman Stevens, Hayward Gould Pidsley, and
Tom Gould Pidsley, carrying on business as Brewers and
Maltsters, at the Well Park Brewery, Saint Thomas, near
Exeter, under the style or firm of Stevens, Pidsley, and
Co., has this day been dissolved, by mutual consent, so
far as regards the said Hayward Gould Pidsley, who retires
from the firm. All debts cine to or owing by the
said late firm will be received and p:-iid by the said
Thomas Pearman Stevens and Tom Gould Pidsley, who
will continue the said business under the present style or
firm of Stevens, Pidsley, and Co. — As witness our hands
this 31st day of August, 1885.
Thomas Pearman Stevens.
Hayward Gould Pidsley.
Turn Gould Pidsley.

The Falcon was owned by Thomas Pearman-Stevens, Pickwick Brewery of Corsham in Wiltshire in 1891. The business was acquired by Wilkins Brothers & Hudson Ltd of Bradford on Avon in 1896 with 20 tied houses. However, according to the 1903 petty licensing book, the Falcon was still owned by the Pickwick Brewery in 1903.
Thomas Pearman Stevens father was William Samuel Stevens.
He was baptised on 17 Sep 1819 in Mapledurham, Oxfordshire.
1860, Gatehampton, Goring, Oxfordshire.
He appeared on the census in 1861 in Gatehampton Farm, Goring, Oxfordshire. RG9 742 f144 p17
He appeared on the census in 1881 in Coombe Villa, Coombe Bottom, Streately, Berkshire. RG11 1297 F43 Pg 9
He worked as a Yeoman.

NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, Isaac
Belcher and Samuel Hale Smith, carrying on business as
Brewers, Maltsters, and Wine and Spirit Merchants, at
Pickwick Brewery, Gorsham, in the county of Wilts,
under the style or firm of Belcher and Smith, has this
day been dissolved by mutual consent. The business
will in future be carried on at the same address by
Thomas Pearman Stevens, by whom all debts due to the
late firm will be received. All debts owing by the late
firm will be paid by the undersigned, Isaac Belcher and
Samuel Hale Smith.—Dated this 4th day of April, 1887.
Isaac Belcher.
Samuel Hale Smith

The Falcon was owned by Thomas Pearman-Stevens, Pickwick Brewery of Corsham in Wiltshire in 1891. The business was acquired by Wilkins Brothers & Hudson Ltd of Bradford on Avon in 1896 with 20 tied houses. However, according to the 1903 petty licensing book, the Falcon was still owned by the Pickwick Brewery in 1903.

The pubs of the Wilkins Bros & Hudson Newtown Brewery were later acquired by Ushers Wiltshire Brewery. The Falcon Inn, however, was sold to Georges Bristol Brewery on 1st April 1926. The ownership later passed to the Courage Brewery.

The 17th century Falcon Hotel closed early in 2008 and it was feared that it would never again open as a pub. A controversial restrictive covenant was placed on the property by owners Enterprise Inns, that stipulated that the sale must be without a licence to sell intoxicating liquor. The Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) and other interested parties are actively campaigning against these unjust restrictive covenants. However, common sense prevailed and the restrictive covenant was removed from the Falcon which began trading once more in the summer of 2009.

It is now owned by Tynedale Inns and the interior has been sympathetically redesigned. Real ales are now served direct from casks from behind the bar. The Falcon has survived against all odds.


Map Reference: ST 759933

Owner in 1891: Thomas Pearman-Stephens , Pickwick Brewery, Corsham, Wilts

Rateable Value in 1891: £14.10s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Pickwick Brewery

Rateable Value in 1903: £14.10s.0s.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 11pm

Owner in 1926: Georges & Co, Bristol Brewery

Present Status: Currently closed (March 2009)

1820,1830 Thomas Cary

1849,1863 George Hobbs Minett

1867 Elizabeth Wiles (Mrs)

1879,1881 James Derrett (born 1826 in Wotton under Edge)

1885 Elizabeth Derrett (Mrs)

1889 John Merson Baxter

1891 Laura Isabel Randall

1899 J. Saywood

1902,1903,1910 Caleb Goddard

1919,1927 John Hy. Goddard

1933,1939 Percival Stephen Harper

? William Charles Hooper

? Arthur Nicklin

? James Bond

? Raymond Cross

? John Bartram

1977 - March 1989 William and Irene Suffell

1997 Alison Neave

1997 (Nov) - 1998 (Jan) Mike Birch (former Gloucester rugby player)

1998 Steve Mirfin (manager)

2000 Chris Marchant (owner), Mike Donnelly (deputy manager)

2002 Brigitte Appleyard and Martyn Mould (who afterwards moved to the White Lion in Long Street)

2009 Wendy Turner

Sunday, 14 November 2010


Discovering persons make you curious.
What did they look like ?
Where did they live?
In the mails there is sometimes a reference to the person or a place.
She was very nice person and smiled all the time.
They lived in the vicarage and we often went to play there.
They lived in a splendid arts and crafts house.
And then you are on a hunt for days trying to find a picture of that person ,or that house or that place.
There must have been a lot more information or portraits.
As there is a photographer Dudley Batty in the family and a lot of artistic painters as well.
So if you have a link,a photograph,or scan that fits the blog we will add it for everyone to enjoy.

To start you of a photograph of a William Ernest Parker .
Nothing to do with us but discovered on one of the many treasure hunts.
Looking for the children of John Parker and Mary Heath Vlieland they have a William Ernest Parker.
And here is another William Ernest Parker

Friday, 12 November 2010

Alice Edith Vlieland

We still find more newspaperclippings of Alice Edith Vlieland this time from The Times.
But we do not have a portret of her so far.
And of the Alice Vlieland Center we just have the adress.
Alice Vlieland Clinic Bull Meadow Rd, Exeter, Devon, EX2 4JF .But
So if you can provide us with a photograph that would be an honour to her..

Saturday, 6 November 2010

Thomas Shillitoe

SHILLITOE, THOMAS (1754–1836), quaker, son of Richard Shillitoe, librarian of Gray's Inn (appointed 1750), was born in Holborn in May 1754. His parents soon after moved to Whitechapel, and in 1766 took the Three Tuns Inn at Islington, where Shillitoe acted as potboy. He was then apprenticed to a grocer, and at Wapping and Portsmouth saw much dissipated life. On returning to London he attended the Foundling chapel, and later joined the quakers, procuring a situation with one of the Lombard Street quaker banking firms. At twenty-four he left them, conscientiously objecting to their issue of lottery tickets. He now began to preach, and learned shoemaking. Settling at Tottenham, he by 1805 earned enough to bring in 100l. a year, retired from business, married (September 1807), and became an itinerant preacher. He frequently walked thirty miles a day, always without a coat, although sometimes in a linen smock, so as to work out his board at the farmhouses he visited. For the last fifty years of his life he was a vegetarian and teetotaler.

After many times travelling over Great Britain and Ireland, he set out in 1820 for the continent, visiting the principal towns of Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Germany, Switzerland, and France. In every country he went first to the palace and to the prison, and was heard alike by kings, queens, princes, archbishops, and stadtholders. His message to those in authority chiefly concerned the observance of Sunday and legislation for temperance and morality. He was ignorant of any foreign language, and trusted to Providence for interpreters. His narrative of adventures is full of naïveté.

Shillitoe returned to England in April 1823, and the following year visited the bishop and police magistrates of London, privy councillors, and the home secretary, about Sunday observance. He had an interview with George IV at Windsor, and then went to Hamburg, saw the Duke of Cumberland at Hanover, the crown prince of Prussia at Berlin, the king at Charlottenburg, the king of Denmark at Copenhagen, and passed the winter in St. Petersburg. There he had two interviews with the Emperor Alexander, who discussed with him the position of the serfs and the substitution of the treadmill for the knout. Having returned to England and settled his wife at Tottenham, in July 1826 he sailed for New York. He was then seventy-two, his wife eight years older. In America he tried to heal the schism between the body of quakers and seceders calling themselves Hicksites.

He returned in 1829, and occupied himself in temperance work. In May 1833 he gave the presidential address to the British and Foreign Temperance Society in Exeter Hall. He was conducted by Sir Herbert Taylor to an interview with William IV and Queen Adelaide in September of the same year. Shillitoe died on 12 June 1836, aged 82, and was buried at Tottenham. His widow, Mary (born Pace), died at Hitchin in 1838, aged 92. The eldest son, Richard, a surgeon, of 56 Jewry Street, Aldgate, was the father of Richard Rickman Shillitoe, and of Buxton Shillitoe, both well-known doctors. A bust of Shillitoe is at Devonshire House, Bishopsgate Street. He wrote: 1. ‘A Caution and Warning,’ 1797 and 1798. 2. ‘An Address to Rulers of this Nation,’ 1808, 8vo. 3. ‘An Address to Friends,’ 1820. 4. ‘Affectionate Address to the King and his Government,’ 1832. 5. ‘Journal,’ 1st and 2nd edit. London, 1839, 8vo; reprinted as vol. iii. of Evans's ‘Friends' Library,’ Philadelphia, 1839, imp. 8vo. Several of his addresses on the continent were translated into German.

His son Richard Rickman Shillitoe, surgeon–apothecary, Hitchin: indenture apprenticing Aldborough Lloyd Williams to Shillitoe, 1848
– The names Rickman and Shillitoe also both occur frequently in the Hodgkin family archive (PP/HO); it is not known if there is a connection
His son was Richard Shillitoe who married Mary Heath Vlieland.

Thursday, 4 November 2010

Cricket the Exeter Buccaneers

The name of Charles James Vlieland is connected with cricket as we will show you with some more clippings.