Source: photographs in PGPT archive of paintings in Norwich Castle Museum.
The 2 pictures were painted by Henry E. Humphris in 1890. The building shown here, in Luckett’s Court, Wymer Street (later St Andrew’s Street, now the site of a multi-storey car park), has an interesting history. John Sell Cotman, the Norwich School painter, lived there in the early 19c, then from 1842 – 1847 the house was used as workshops by Trevor Page & Co for their cabinet making. Much of the wood needed for the furniture was brought by river to a timber yard (shown on the 1885 O.S. map) from which there was direct access to Luckett’s court. This picture shows the front of the house.
This picture shows the back of the house. The building was demolished in 1891 and it is probable that these 2 paintings were commissioned then by Henry Trevor or John Page as a souvenir of the early days of their firm. The 2 companion pictures hung for many years in The Elms (cf PGPT010), the home of John Page. After his death, his widow gave the pictures to Richard Bowers (cf PGPT ), who had helped Mrs Page and her daughters when they moved from the Elms.
Prior to the erection of Harmer's factory, a number of buildings were demolished, including the Golden Can public house and Luckett's Court. Under the former was a vaulted cellar.
Other adresses where Jerome used to live can be found in this Norwich picture index.
Like Pottersgate , Redwellstreet