Saturday, 12 March 2016

the Duke´s Head

In the census of 1851 Jerome Nicholas Vlieland is living in the Duke´s Head Great Yarmouth with his wife .
There are two servants and other people staying as well.

This pub still is there to be visited .And looking at the picture you wonder behind which window they have slept.

It was the place to deliver your mail to London as well.

And also the place to depart from with steamers ,vessels and coaches and trains.

the Duke´s Head
 the Duke´s head now
Public house. Dated 1609. Knapped flint with stone dressings.
Machine-tile roof. 2 storeys and dormer attic; 4-window range.
To the left is a square carriage arch to rear yard. Two 6/6
horned sashes either side of the central doorway. 4
first-floor 6/6 horned sashes separated by a C20 panel
inscribed: `The Dukes Head Hotel'. Immediately over carriage
arch is a square stone plaque with a segmental shouldered head
with the date 1609 and initials S over R I. Gabled roof with 4
C20 dormers fitted with 6/6 horned sashes. Internal gable-end
stacks north and south. In the yard to the rear is a timber
crown-post roof truss attached to a wall: late C14, with
passing braces, from a former Guildhall on the site.
INTERIOR: ground floor opened out and modernised. First floor
front room with early C17 panelling and an elaborately carved
chimney-piece with twin segmentally-arched heads with
keyblocks supported by fluted pilasters. Either side are
engaged Corinthian columns. The panelling round the room is
divided by Corinthian pilasters and there is a modillion
cornice. Remainder of interior C20 in character.
(Various: Statutory List of Buildings of Special Architectural
Interest: London: 1974-: 19).

The original building dates back to 1609 when it was a merchant house. The bar has comfortable seating and a separate dining area. Close to the Town Hall and Haven Bridge crossing with river views. Recently (2015) refurbished with new carpets, seating and stools and a new paint job.

No comments: