Monday 28 July 2014

Margate

As another gggson tells

..we have had an overnight stop in Margate - wanted to do this for years - and guess what? 12/13 the parade is now a little cafe.

So we are sitting here having a refreshing drink looking across at the sea front ... according to the lady who served us there is a relative of ours in her 90s who has been in here and tells them all about how it used to be.



The furthest pane of glass is an original pane and the rest all came in a bad storm it's a lovely little cafe called Huckleberrys.

I feel very privileged that I am sitting in the room of our ancestors it's quite an emotional feeling to think they walked on the same floor and maybe had the same views. I don't think it's as big as I expected but I can imagine it was very grand in its day...

To see 12/13 back to its 1880s/1905 purpose is brilliant. Incidentally. When I got this from Margaret I looked up the papers again:
Saturday 27 December 1862 Dover Express - The Gale of Saturday and Sunday - The force of wind was very great. Two large squares of glass in the window of Mr. Dunn, agent to the General Steam Navigation Company, on the Parade, were blown in... If that original (small pane) is that old.....!!

No comments: